Choosing the CORRECT car seat in the correct MODE are the MOST IMPORTANT safety factors of all!
There are several types of car seats and a mind-boggling number of brands, models and styles to choose from! Same for vehicles! So which is the right seat?
Well, that all depends... on MANY variables. Not all car seats fit in all vehicles!
Our job is to help you make the RIGHT choice!
Most infants will outgrow a standard infant car seat by about 8-12 months - they grow super fast! So what then? There are many car seat options available that will grow with your child. BUT, the car seat must fit the vehicle appropriately and be installed correctly based on the car seat manufacturer guidelines AND vehicle manufacturer guideline AND the child's height & weight. Oy! That's a lot!
This is where SO MUCH confusion comes from which leads to OVER 75% of car seats being installed and used incorrectly (think of all the car seats you see in a day!). And what if you have two or more car seats? That makes things even more confusing and difficult!
This is where we come in! Our job is to help choose the right car seat for the right vehicle at the right time and help you PLAN AHEAD.
As Nationally Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians, we are trained to make sure your child is in the the right car seat, right position and installed correctly. And, most importantly, YOU are trained to use and install and re-install the car seat yourself. There will be a time a seat needs to come out or be moved and you will need the skills to put it back in correctly. We're not simply doing it for you; we're training you to be the pro for your family!
Oh, and ask for credentials! Not just anyone can help install car seats. ONLY Child Passenger Safety Technicians certified by SafeKids Worldwide can provide car seat related services. Ask to see your technician's card!
BASIC Criteria for Determining the Right Car Seat:
1. Child's age, height and weight. This determines the type of car seat required and what direction (rear or forward) the seat needs to be facing.
#1 is the most important information of all!
Car seats have specified limits for different modes, all dependent on the child's age, height and weight.
2. Type of vehicle car seat will be placed in. Not all vehicles have the same amount of space to work with. Seat size is dependent upon the space available, which will determine which brand and models will meet your needs.
3. Where the car seat will be placed in the vehicle. Not all seat positions can accomodate all car seats. Center seats tend to be the most narrow and will not correctly fit most car seats in forward-facing mode. Seat position is crucial to the type of seat you need and vice-versa.
4. Are there other car seats in the vehicle as well? Car seats come in all shapes, sizes and directions. And they shouldn't touch. How much space is available, what type of car seats you need and how many will determine which one(s) are right for you. Only a few models are thin enough to go three across. If you have rear-facing and forward-facing, that makes it even more of a challenge.
5. How long will this seat last? Kids grow quickly! One growth spurt can go from plenty of room to too tight or too tall in a matter of WEEKS! Preparing for that will save you tons of money! And car seats do expire! That one you have had since your first child may be well past it's expiration date and no longer safe!
We evaluate what car seats you have and provide comprehensove GROW Plans tailored to each child.
This is just the MINIMUM criteria. There are so many variables with car seats which all depend on the child and what vehicle(s) the car seats will be used in.
The car seat that comes with a stroller, the cute design or the bigger one that might SEEM like it will last the longest, MAY NOT be the RIGHT seat! Check first!
Remember, choosing the RIGHT car seat for your child AND vehicle in the correct Mode is CRITICAL for your child's safety!
Please let us help you make the RIGHT choice before you buy!
Tiny Humans provides hands-on instruction for correct use, placement, and installation of car seats by Nationally Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians. We also teach CPR, First Aid and other child safety classes.
Tiny Humans LLC
Clarksville, TN 37042